Thursday, December 7, 2017

Gluten Free White Sandwich Bread

So I've ventured into uncharted territory...Gluten Free Bread. I started this week, so I could have something with a GF White Sandwich Bread recipe template from King Arthur using Pillsbury Best Gluten Free Multi-Purpose Mix. Blasphemous I know.


I don't have xanthan gum on hand, yet, so I experimented using this flour mix (contains a blend of rice flour, potato starch, pea fiber, tapioca starch and xanthan gum) with my new Danish dough whisk. Since I used a standard glass loaf pan, you can see from the picture that there's a bunch of crust. The bread is biscuity, very dense, but not quite as crumbly. It slices rather well, and takes on a more palatable texture when it's toasted or warmed. I'm keeping it stored cut side down on a plate on the counter.

My version/tweaked Recipe:

Yield 1 Loaf

468g Gluten Free Flour Blend with xanthan gum in blend35g sugar2 teaspoons instant yeast1/4 teaspoons salt (I'd add more next time)227g warm milk or dairy sub57g soft butter
3 large eggs

Mix the flour blend, sugar, yeast, and salt in a bowl until combined. I used my dough whisk for the entire job since Gluten Free Breads are less hands-on. Believe it or not, but I liked multi-step process of making a gluteny dough.

Using a whisk, or stand/hand mixer, drizzle in the milk, beating all the time. The mixture will be super dry looking, and you'll want to add more liquid. Fight the urge and don't. It'll turn out in the end. Add in the butter in pinches and beat or mix until thoroughly blended. This could take a few minutes if you're doing it with a whisk by hand.

Whisk in the eggs one at a time. Mix the entire batter for a good 3+ minutes to ensure you've got a smooth batter*. Scrape down the bowl when needed. *This idea of bread batter is still sinking in. It's weird to me. Just saying. This recipe definitely does not yield a dough. 

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and rise for 45 minutes to an hour.

Grease an 8 1/2" by 4 1/2" loaf pan with butter or oil of your choice. I understand a 9" x 4" x 4" pain de mie pan will work too.  

Dump the batter into the pan and smooth it out so it's level using a spatula. 

Cover with plastic wrap that's been sprayed with cooking spray, and set aside in a warm place to rise. This should take about 45 minutes to an hour, and the batter should have risen just to the rim of the pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F about 30 - 40 minutes into this second rise.

Bake the bread for 35 to 45 minutes until golden brown. If you're using a pain de mie pan, of course leave the lid on during baking. My bread was done towards the 35 minutes mark, but only you know you're oven behavior. Remove the bread from the oven and turn it out of the pan immediately. Cool on a rack. 





No comments:

Post a Comment