Thursday, December 7, 2017

Thanksgiving Bread Baking Palooza and New Happenings

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving (I know I'm a few weeks late.) I had been baking up a storm the days leading up to the feast, wanting to get rid of as much wheat flour I had in the house as possible. I made about three pounds of Pain a l'Ancienne. The French bread was delicious, with a perfect chew and springy texture. We had a big group of ten eaters for the special day and everyone raved about this bread. In addition, I made three babkas with freshly toasted hazelnuts and a nutmeg dark chocolate ganache. I tried a new take on babka and used all cake flour, and it turned out just fine and tasty.
All the goodness aside, I'm turning a new leaf, and have to rid gluten, all gluten, from my diet. For years I've been struggling with lots of health issues, including vitamin deficiencies, unidentified weight gain, weird moodiness, consistent fatigue, and all points towards Celiac Disease. I found out on my birthday that I'd need to be making this diet/life change. So, yesterday was my first full week of gluten free and I see a difference in how I feel already. I won't pretend I didn't cry over the fact that my hobby was hurting me, and I was baking bread so well. I'm embarking on a new baking journey and all I can say is thank god macarons are gluten free.

No comments:

Post a Comment